Translate

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Is your oboe embouchure tired? For a quick fix, say your vowels

In the next few posts I'll be exploring endurance on the oboe.

 In the meantime,  here's a little gem that I learned during an all-day rehearsal waaaaaaaay back when I was in high school performing in the Indiana All-State Orchestra.

If your embouchure muscles are tired,  say your vowels:

A
E
I
O
U

Now,  say them again, but REALLY SLOWLY and exaggerate the facial muscles to say them:

AAAAAAAAAAAAA  (open your mouth up as wide as can be!)


EEEEEEEEEEEEEE (spread your corners of your mouth far apart!)



IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII  (this is my favorite for stretching the sides of your embouchure)



OOOOOOOOOOO (engage the top lip and stretch it down)



UUUUUUUUUUUU  (this one really feels funny when exaggerated!)



Whenever your face muscles start to feel tired,  take a short break and say your vowels again. These should help stretch your embouchure muscles and give your face a quick fix.
Now get back to practicing and go get awesome!

Oboe and out,

The Oboist




1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!! I have a region auditions soon and I'm terrified of repeating last year's incident when my mouth died and I bombed etude 3.

    ReplyDelete