Translate

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A secret


I admit it. The dynamic range of an oboe isn't really that large. Especially compared to brass instruments, percussion, and even clarinets. But there are a few secrets that I employ to sound louder.


Here's one:



Sometimes I’ll  dynamically underplay a really poignant passage in an orchestral rehearsal to make sure that others are listening and not overpowering.  I liken this to giving a speech and suddenly dropping your voice volume to say an especially meaningful statement.  Everyone draws nearer to pay attention to what you have to say.  During a performance I play out and make sure that my volume is in keeping with the sound capabilities of the hall, but have more leeway because my orchestral colleagues have practiced balancing with me... instead of me trying to play over them.


(I hope they don’t read this secret! J )

Thoughts?  Is this wrong?


Oboe and out,

The Oboist

No comments:

Post a Comment